Lemons seem to be our lot in life, but sometimes I get tired of drinking lemonade. Sometimes I'd much rather have root beer, and no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to make root beer with lemons.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Discouraged

It seems to me that the hardest times in my life are the times when I am sincerely trying to improve. This alone could make a person convert to apathy.
I suppose not trying would make things a lot easier. But I have a feeling that in the end I would only hate myself and everyone around me. Because I don't really think it's possible to be stagnant in life. You're either progressing or regressing. And usually, when you're not trying, that means you're regressing.
So does that mean all of life is one long uphill battle where you either keep climbing or roll back down to the bottom of the hill? Are we all just unfortunate hikers who climb endlessly towards a non-existant summit? Am I always going to work hard towards my goals, only to find out that I am, once again, sub-par?
Nope. I won't accept it. There has to be a better way. There has to be a way to progress without discouragement. There have to be smaller summits along the way. Places to rest when you are weary, or to celebrate when you have passed a big milestone. I am sure there are such summits in our life climbs. I am sure I will reach one soon enough. If I can just be patient with myself, and understand that I am not going to be perfect, then I am positive that things will get better. And with an attitude like that, maybe the climb itself won't be half bad either.

P.S. I must say that this particular post reminds me of a Miley Cyrus song. Which is the most discouraging thing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment