Lemons seem to be our lot in life, but sometimes I get tired of drinking lemonade. Sometimes I'd much rather have root beer, and no matter how hard I try I just can't seem to make root beer with lemons.

Saturday, November 30, 2013

A More Positive View

Ok, ok. I understand that my previous post was a bit whiny and a bit out of character. The good news is that a few hours after that post I was in a much better mood and I wrote this more positive companion poem for the first one.

An Appropriate Cliche

I want
too many things.
It's easy to be
distracted by that.

As Ms. Austen would say,
a social defect with no cure,
such as selfishness,
must always be forgiven.

I'm not above using a
limpworn phrase to say it.

I want you to be happy.

If taking myself out of the equation accomplishes that,
then I am willing to oblige.

getting angry isn't fair.
an apology is appropriate

Self-reflection somehow results
in humble pie

if I can keep my foot
out of my mouth long enough
to get a bitter taste of
regret and fruit filling
then maybe I'll have time to add:

the best things in life are free,
especially from strings,
and my friendship is definitely one of
the best things in life.


I hope that was a bit reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment